My Kentucky Home

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Spindletop - UK's Alumni Club














One of my favorite places for Sunday brunch is the University of Kentucky's Alumni Club. While I'm not an Alumn (I graduated from Spring Arbor University in Michigan), my best friend is. Spindletop, I'm told, was built by a Texan woman. The way the story was related to me, when the awesome mansion was finished, she planned a huge party and all the "A" list, Kentucky socilietes were invited. But being the warm, southern gentility that they were....no one came. The Texan was crushed. So rather than sell the magnificent estate on the open market, she sold it to the U of K for a very small sum. Now the house has a fancy dining room on the main floor and and a more casual restaurant downstairs, multi swimming pools, tennis courts, etc. It has been the site for many a romantic wedding and numerous private parties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home