My Kentucky Home

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Stonewall Farms


One of the things I love the most about living in Midway, is the fact that I'm surrounded by some of the most beautiful horse farms in the country. This one, Stonewall Farms, is one of my favorites. I read that a Stonewall Stallions farm in Versailles (just down the road a piece) had bought a partial interest in the Arkansas Derby winner Lawyer Ron. I wonder if it's the same farm. Name is similar??? Don't know.

This was orignally a much smaller farm that changed hands a little over a year ago, I think. Then the new owners started making wonderful improvements, like adding lighted cornicopias to the barns, putting in a dirt training track, adding on to the main house. Then the smaller property next door came up for sale and the folks at Stonewall purchased that property and built the barns you see in these pictures. I haven't been inside yet, but I hope to get a tour some day soon. One of the things I appreciate about the improvements they're making, is that they are rebuilding the stone fencing as needed, and putting in new where the old fencing stops. The stone fencing is very unique because no mortar is used. The entire fence is held together by gravity. It's amazing. I'll add a closeup picture of a stone fence I found the day my sister and I went sight seeing and got lost. We got some great pictures that day! We found our way home because I recognized the trim on the horse barns we were passing, and I was able to find a familar road by following the fence line.













I want to do some more sight seeing and add to my collection of photo's of famous farms. So if you enjoy sightseeing from the comfort of home, I hope you'll stop back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home