My Kentucky Home

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Thoroughbred Farm Tours

















What a Blast!! Last week I booked a farm tour with Thoroughbred Heritage Tours out of Midway. It has been on my "must do" list for 2 years. I had promised myself that I would go last summer. But as you know, I spent the majority of last summer in the hospital. So now I am playing "tourist" and enjoying every minute of it!

We boarded a newer, 15 passenger van in front of the Thoughbred Theatre in downtown Midway. It was really comfortable with good air conditioning, even in the back, and a hands free microphone for our guide, so that he kept both hands on the wheel! The tour company and theatre are owned by Tony Moreno, whose family goes back several generations in the horse industry. (Another event on my "must do" list is to go to the June Murder Mystery dinner theater productions - Murder at Cafe Noir. I bet I can catch the crook! Ah...but I digress...) Tony was to be our guide for the morning.

We headed toward Lexington Center in downtown Lexington, where we picked up two more guests, then did a short historical tour of the downtown as we headed out to horse country. The tour takes a unique historical approach. We got to see farms like Castleton Lyons, Spendthrift, Calumet, and the Donmino Stud (where the Crane's of the movie Dreamer fame, trained Sonador). We got to go behind the scenes on the farms where the movies Seabiscuit and Dreamer were filmed. We stopped at the KY Horse Park to see the burial place of the great Man O' War, we stopped at Keeneland and got to see where they are tearing up the old dirt track%2

1 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great place to tour. Have not seen much of your part of the country. Maybe we'll have to plan a trip soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home